Oct 8, 2013

My Journey to Academic Success (A Must Read)

My name is Jimoh Okoh, (gradually becoming a house hold name), and I will be taking you on a journey about my life as a student, the challenges I faced (similar to what every student faces), and how I encountered four simple strategies that turned me a Scholar to be reckoned with even till now.

I got into the University of Benin when I was 17 years. I was young and naive as at that time. I entered into school after battling with JAMB twice. I was prepared and determined to graduate well, at least with a second class upper which was my minimum target.

I was in an Engineering department, and things were going fairly well in the first year. I am typically the type of person who doesn't fancy studying for long hours. You couldn't find me sitting on a desk for 90 mins stretch. I would rather lie down, skim through the books, and sleep off. I didn't really believe in reading too much and starving myself of other activities. I was set out to find a balance between books, recreation, spirituality, making money and my time.

So, in my first year, I adopted a strategy, which was: "Attend classes, form a reading group, and teach each other stuff". I was bent on seeing this strategy work, so I was always at classes from 7am till 2pm. I managed to locate an existing Study group, so I joined. Things were really going well, I mean my academics. I had very little time for other stuff. I was in classes for 7 hours daily, and with the reading group 4 hours. That roughly meant 11 hours daily on books. Cool isn't it? I knew if I kept going at this rate, other areas of my life was going to suffer. Few months into the reading group thing, some folks began feeling smarter and more intelligent than others, and soon became too proud to associate with us (the trying-to-be scholars). I recall a sad experience I had with one of the Scholars. There was this course that was as "tough as a tortoise shell", I approached him to put me through since he was very good solving questions on the course. He turned me down, telling me he got no time, and that he had other more interesting stuff to do. I kept pestering until I was totally embarrassed. To God's glory, I studied myself and made an "A" grade, while I heard he made a "D".
My result in the first year was a blast. With a total of 13A's and few B's and a C, (1st and 2nd semester), I was in the First class range.


Second year, I was now a target for all those that heard about my result in the First year. They were all targeting and coming to book a seat close to me for the next exam (lol!!!!). I was feeling like one rising and upcoming star, thinking that it would be the same glorious journey I had in first year. This time, I wanted to do things differently (afterall, i am in charge). I stopped going to classes because they were becoming boring and too long. I rather decided I would study in my room during class hours and have time for other stuff. The plan was to photocopy my course mate notes after classes, study hard and hit all A's in the exam, but it wasn't to be. The Exam questions were like Arabic to me. My Result was unlike my first year. My Grade point Average (GPA) sank, and my CGPA bowed in humiliation. It was out of the first class zone, floating in the shaky zone of a second class upper.
(By the way, that is me on the right in my second year)

In my third year, I was wiser. I was determined to correct the silly mistakes of my second year. This time, I was always number one to get to class, I took my assignments and other stuff seriously. I dumped every other kind and aspect of my life just to focus on my book. The courses were tougher than other years. I struggled to understand, and at the end, it was exam as usual. To cut the story short, my result was even worse than that of my second year. My CGPA was now comfortably resting in the deep waters of a second class lower. I could tell no one. I did not bargain for this. I knew i had to change things, but How?

Before the Fourth year began, I decided to turn to God, the one who knows me from before I was born. I went to him in Prayers not to let me sink down to a Third class. It was after this prayer that things began to change. Firstly, I noticed my memory and Understanding improved. I was showed in different ways 4 Principles that would make me study few hours and understand quickly (what I always wanted), and how to know what questions I will see in the exam hall. Fourth year GPA after exams was one of the best in my class. My CGPA was rising.

Fifth year, I still applied the 4 principles, and my GPA was also among the best in my class, and by God's grace, my CGPA hit, and pop its head into the First Class clouds. My course mates could not believe when they heard I made a First class. I was number 6 in the list of 11 First class in a class of over 200 people.

These 4 Principles I traded with in my 4th and Final year did the follow for me:


  • I had better understanding whenever I studied.
  • I only had to look at topics for few minutes, and I would understand the core message.
  • I had enough time for other aspect of my life while doing well Academically in my 4th and final year. I was running an Event company and at the same time, I was an executive in a student church in school.
  • I was able to study 3 courses at the same time and made great grades in all of them.
  • I was able to sleep well at night while others were in night class reading till dawn.
These principles are not just to make you a great student, it will be part of you for life. No matter how pathetic your result is now. You can lift it from that level to a higher level.

My story was transformed in 2 years, yours could be in a year, so it doesn't matter what level you are right now in school, you can still graduate well (whether you are even in Final year).

I have been invited to several platforms to speak on my success and to inspire young students, and I saw it wise to put this in a book format to bless as many as are hungry for academic sucess.


The book is called "Becoming a First Class Student", and hundreds of hard copies have been made and printed. The ecopy is available and sells for just
N500, but I will from now on, be giving it out for free to as many who request for it, and it will be forwarded to your email. This book was Fore-worded by Barrister Emmanuel Akpeme (Best Graduating student in Law, 2010 session, University of Benin).

To Get this eBook free, follow these steps:
1. Comment on this post using the comment box below.
2. Like Our Facebook Page here
3. Send a mail to okohejimoh(at)gmail.com, or use the contact us form on the side menu of this page.

Once these 3 steps are followed, your eBook will arrive at your email at no cost.


Helpful for:
 * Secondary School Students
 * Admission Seekers
 * College of Education Students
 * Polytechnic Students
 * University Undergraduates
 * Master degree Students.. and other categories. 

okohejimoh(at)gmail.com
+2348065822893

Invitations:
I am open to invitations from Campus churches, Youth bodies, and any Institution on a public speaking basis. You can send me an email okohejimoh(at)gmail.com, and I would get back to you. Stay blessed.

Academic Coaching:
You can apply to be coached one on one, and you will watch your academic performance improve. I can guarantee you that by God's grace. A Wise man said: "You become wise by walking with the wise". (This service is paid for, and not free) You can connect with me on Facebook, or send me a mail okohejimoh(at)gmail.com or use the contact form

5 comments: